The Private Investigative Profession
The Division of Licensing,
under the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS), licenses and regulates the private investigative profession in accordance with
Chapter 493, Florida Statutes. Private Investigation is defined as the investigation by a person or persons for the purpose of obtaining information with reference to any of the following matters:
- Crime or wrongs done or threatened against the United States or any state or territory of the United States, when operating under express written authority of the governmental official responsible for authorizing such investigation.
- The identity, habits, conduct, movements, whereabouts, affiliations, associations, transactions, reputation, or character of any society, person, or group of persons.
- The credibility of witnesses or other persons.
- The whereabouts of missing persons, owners of abandoned property or escheated property, or heirs to estates.
- The location or recovery of lost or stolen property.
- The causes and origin of, or responsibility for, fires, libels, slanders, losses, accidents, damage, or injuries to real or personal property.
- The business of securing evidence to be used before investigating committees or boards of award or arbitration or in the trial of civil or criminal cases and the preparation therefor.
Division of Licensing website and Section 493.6101(17), F.S..)
Types of Licenses for Individuals
Class "C"- Private Investigator
Class "CC"- Private Investigator Intern (Approved Courses)
Class "M" or "MA"- Manager of a Private Investigative Agency
Class "A"- Private Investigative Agency
Class "AA"- Private Investigative Agency Branch Office
How to check a PI's license:
FALI runs an initial check with
the FDACS Division of Licensing to ensure that each member is licensed at the
time they join the organization. This is done again upon membership renewal. However, FALI recommends that individuals
conduct their own due diligence when hiring a private investigator. To check on
a FALI member's license status, or any investigator's license status, click HERE.
Report Unlicensed Activity here